How to Enter:
- Join the UMTR! You must be a member to compete in the Gnarly Bandit.
- On the membership form, mark the box that indicates entry into the Gnarly Bandit Series.
- You must be registered for the Gnarly before the first race, the Zumbro 100M on 4/11/2014.
- Races are not credited retroactively.
- That accomplished, you are in the series – but you have a few things left to do…
- You are responsible for your own registration and fees for each race.
- Note: Some races have field limits, so best not to procrastinate.
Each year pot o’ gold is posted (last year, $600), that will be split evenly among the group finishing the series. But it’s all-or-nothing, folks, you must finish all 5 races to be eligible for the spoils. The cash prize and a John Storkamp original artwork commemorating the 2014 Gnarly Bandit finisher(s) will be awarded at the November 2014 UMTR Awards Fest.
Series Director: Adam Schwartz-Lowe
|Zumbro 100 Mile Endurance Run||Zumbro Falls, MN||04/12/2014|
|Kettle Moraine 100 Mile||La Grange, WI||06/07/2014|
|Black Hills 100 Mile||Sturgis, SD||06/28/2014|
|Superior Sawtooth 100 Mile||Lutsen, MN||09/05/2014|
|Wild Duluth 100K||Duluth, MN||10/18/2014|
Remember, too, the work of all who make this series possible. The individual races, volunteers, sponsors, and the UMTR. Drop them a note, e-mail, or for the races, express these sentiments at the event. We may be gnarly, but we’re gnarly nice.
What the Gnarly Bandit himself says (known as Rules by some) Show/Hide
- “Of course you have to join them UMTR people before you start, and ya’ gotta throw your hat in on the Gnarly series before the first race. Do I have to break a log over your head?”
- “I can’t guarantee you entry into any of the races, you gotta do that. Don’t come crying to me out on the ranch about not getting’ in one of my races. Enter ‘em all now, for goodness sake. What are you, chicken? And you gotta pay your own fees; did I even have to be saying that?”
- “Official finishes, as determined by the RD, is what counts. You gotta submit yours to that Smith fella. He’s a little slow on the uptake; don’t expect him to figure it out I’ll tell you that right now.”
- “Each Gnarly finisher is recognized with a special award — them UMTR people know some crafty folks — plus you’ll be a-sharin’ in the pot of gold. Now them are some nice neighbors. Wilderness Athlete will also have surprises for the brave making progress on my trails of tears.”
- “One volunteer effort is required by season’s end. You slickers, get out thar and be doin’ something. You don’t expect me to be out there a-doing work, do ya? I gotta take care of the ranches! I gotta be rockin’ in my chair. So, you volunteer at any race, includin’ showshoe, of the current series year. Them race director entrants are exempted from this volunteer requirement because they pay me secretly under the table. he, he, he.”
- “Expect to be hearin’ from me, too, ‘cause I’ll be payin’ attention if you’re tough enough to earn my honors.”
- “You better be fueling up with Wilderness Athlete. Those guys are tough cookies, the real deal. They can come a-huntin’ on the Gnarly Ranches anytime.”
The Gnarly Hall of Fame Show/Hide
“These Gnarlyites are the Gnarliest of them runner-types. Gettin’ on my Hall of Fame is harder than gettin’ a bull to give milk — but these few went and did it no-how. Well, here’s a tip of the old duster and a new chaw in the jowl just to be a-celebratin’.”
|2010||Dale Humphreys||Daryl Saari *|
* By completing the Wild Duluth 100K in addition to the regular (4 race) Gnarly schedule in 2010, Daryl completed what was then known as the Ultimate Gnarly (5 races). As of 2011, 5 races were required to officially complete the one-and-only Gnarly Bandit schedule.